Saturday, March 30, 2013

Retail life

When I'm working my retail job, I have to remind myself that I'm not meant for retail. I had a refreshing interview at one of the big name bookstores, and my interviewer said, "Retail is retail." Yeah, retail is retail. As a customer and shopper, I enjoy the big retail establishment options -- I can get books, groceries, clothes, etc. But working retail is overall about customer service and sales no matter the place.

My interviewer had made retail a career. He ran a really great store but wasn't deluded into believing he was working for a greater good of books everywhere. He was realistic and honest. I think I would've liked working at that store.

My current job is also a well-run store with an upbeat and hardworking staff. I like working there for the discount and the overall challenge it presents me. I'm definitely more of a free form; I believe that the average customer is educated and researched. They know their bodies and can decide what to buy and not buy. From years working in customer service, I have a great customer sixth sense: I can tell when someone has a question. In other words, I wouldn't be pushing pieces and rewards.

However, that's not my job. My job is not to tactfully stand aside but to channel my inner excited Christmas elf to help "her" find not only only what she's looking for but an entire look. Make conversation to make it a great shopping experience. It's different, it scares me, and I'm not a natural. But the clothes we offer are smart and fashionable. And the service we provide helps women feel great in their clothes. That's something I do believe in and can work for.

So, I'll fake it 'til I make it (or don't). I'm not meant for retail. All I can do is show up and do what I do -- work hard. It's a good life lesson, working hard and not being good at something. Aaaand the experience will be helpful if I do ever make to sunny California to pursue my lofty film dreams. "Fake it 'til you make it," said everyone in L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment